0

An update

Posted by Unknown on 12:40 PM
So, it's been several months since I've had Glass. I was hoping that I'd fall in love, and it would be happily ever after. Unfortunately, it hasn't been quite that way. However, I'm hoping that by the time Glass hits the shelves in spring, the bugs will be worked out. Here's three of the major ups and downs.

The Ups
Enhanced interpersonal communication: More to come on this, but in short, Glass allows me to continue eye contact while receiving information in my line of sight. While it took a little time to practice, I can watch my calls, texts and emails as I'm carrying on a conversation. This way I can continue a conversation uninterrupted by my phone.

Directions: Glass is my primary GPS. I'm currently in Philadelphia for the PRSA International Conference. This required a six hour drive across the state and continual navigation on foot through a city I'm unfamiliar with. Simply saying "OK, Glass, get directions to Maggiano's" and viola walking directions to the restaurant using a pivoting blue arrow. While Glass' user agreement frowns upon driving with Glass on, I'd argue it is MUCH less intrusive than continuously looking at my GPS, which is not directly in my line of sight while my eyes are on the road.

Hands-free: It's why they created it. I can take pictures or Google easily for quick information. However, (and I know this belongs in the downs) no typing functionality means you can't scroll through a site. HOWEVER, once you get to a site it will store on Google Chrome and will pull up on my phone or on my MAC, so I can get to the full site on another device.

The Downs

Audio: I still have to plug my ears when receiving a call or having a text read aloud. However, using my ear buds does help and the connection is usually very clear.

Still need my phone: I frequently leave my phone in my office or my car. Because Glass uses a bluetooth connection, no phone, no Glass. Maybe soon Glass will be able to function without my phone. It won't replace my phone but could connect without it.

No Starbucks connection: While it will allow WiFi connection, it will not allow connection with any Wifi that requires a user agreement. That means no WiFi at Starbucks. This is bad--enough said.

I've committed to wearing them more often now that school's started, so I hope to have more to come.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Glass in Class All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.