0

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Posted by Unknown on 7:11 AM
Doing a round-trip BUF to NYC in less than 12 hours is probably a little crazy, but I'm, of course, rationalizing it by my motivation to get Glass. [First, off topic, let me say that the long-term parking at BUF for $9 a day is wonderful. They picked me up at my car and I was at the airport within 15 minutes. Here's hoping everything today goes that smoothly (PS: if you know me, and my navigation abilities, it won't lol)].

Many of you and several reporters have asked what I'm using Glass for. Truthfully, it's hard to imagine what exactly I'm going to study with Glass until I actually have them. I've read other bloggers posts, articles, reviews, Google's take on them and the reviews are mixed. One faculty member says they have little utility, but I can't help think there's some value at least in understanding how the students will be using them. Anyway, here's my best guess thus far at what I'll be looking at...
(1) How does Glass contribute to the ever-evolving debate regarding technology use in the classroom--not only on the part of the professor but also the students?
(2) As a communication professional, does Glass offer advantages technologically over existing media, specifically in social networking, video and photography? More and more we're seeing video and photography from professional organizations being released that was shot on a smart phone. Though the quality can't replace professional equipment, it's getting there. How does Glass compare?
(3) What are the ethical concerns about student's use of Glass in the classroom? Right now Glass is not available to those who wear prescription glasses. So, for the time being, a professor or any other group can ask individuals to remove Glass. But, what happens if and when Google makes Glass with prescription lenses?
(4) Are there advantages that Glass offers for students and/or professors that is not available with any other technology? I can imagine utilizing Glass to project my notes / additional material so that I can move about the classroom or more easily move the classroom to a remote location (outside on a sunny day, let's say). However, recent blogs note that Glass's battery life is short, which will prohibit this.
(5) What apps can be developed to assist classroom use? This is where I'm going to rely on my colleagues at Mercyhurst, but apps for Glass are rapidly appearing. As far as I can tell we'd be the first to have them for education.
(6) What are the applications for advertising/marketing via Glass? As a consultant in the field as well as a lecturer on the topic, exploration of how Glass can be leveraged by other corporations to make money/get messages to consumers is yet another area of exploration.
(7) And the ever-so-general how does Glass change life? I'm curious about driving with Glass. Will it be easier to have my driving directions in my line of sight versus on my phone or will it be more distracting? Though my phone can do much of what Glass can do (photos, video, etc.), will the hands-free aspect make it easier/better?
So, what are you interested in seeing Glass do? I'll try my best to incorporate your ideas into my 'research' :)

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Glass in Class All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.